Dr. Ali R. Abtahi will be the Aesthetic Surgery Fellow at North Texas Plastic Surgery for 2021 - 2022. Dr. Abtahi is a fully trained Plastic Surgeon with a commitment to excellence and, as such, has been elected to pursue additional training in Aesthetic Surgery.
A native of Rolla Missouri, Dr Ali R. Abtahi DO MSc, graduated from Rolla High School where he earned varsity letters in football and wrestling as well as being named Homecoming King and “Best Personality” his senior year. While completing his bachelor’s degree in biology at the University of Missouri—Columbia, Dr. Abtahi participated in the ROTC program, garnering numerous decorations for scholastic and military-trainee achievements, culminating with his commission as an active-duty Air Force Officer. He served honorably for 3.5 years at Langley Air Force Base, Virginia with assignments including the 71st Fighter Squadron and the 30th Intelligence Squadron. Highlights of his service time included providing presidential support to George W. Bush for the Summit of the America’s conference in Panama and Dr. Abtahi’s two-year appointment to the elite F-15 Aerial Demonstration Team, where he traveled to airshows in over 30 states and four countries. Prior to his departure from active duty, he was awarded the Air Force Achievement Medal with Oak leaf cluster and Wing Personnel Officer of the Year for 2007. Dr. Abtahi then transitioned to the Air Force Reserves at Whiteman Air Force Base, Missouri to complete his military commitment while pursuing a master’s degree in Cell and Molecular Biology at the University of Missouri–-St Louis. In 2008, Dr. Abtahi relocated to Erie, Pennsylvania for medical school at the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. During his 4-year tenure, he was the acting President of the medical school’s largest organization, the student surgical society, and received second place honors for Student Doctor of the Year, 2010. Dr Abtahi went on to complete General Surgery residency at Wright State University in Dayton, Ohio where he was recognized with The Gold Humanism Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2014, the Outstanding Resident Teacher Award in 2016, and received induction into the esteemed Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Society in 2017. In 2018, Dr Abtahi returned closer to home in the West North Central region to complete Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery training at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. For two consecutive years, Dr Abtahi served as the program’s Chief Surgical Resident, earning distinction for the highest in-service exam score and the W.T. Lawrence Award for Clinical Excellence in 2021.
In his off time, Dr Abtahi enjoys working out, travelling, and hanging out with his family; his wife, Katherine, who is a practicing obstetrics and gynecologist in the Dallas area, and their three amazing and hilarious children. Besides plastic surgery, Dr Abtahi’s other creative outlet is music. He plays drums, piano, and guitar and has been the lead vocalist for several cover bands over the years.
Clinical Interests include (but not limited to):
- Comprehensive Aesthetic Surgery of the Face comprising Rhinoplasty, Otoplasty (Ear reshaping), Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery), Brow lift, Face and Neck Lift, Skeletal Augmentation and Facial implants, Facial rejuvenation procedures for the Aging Face, Hair restoration
- Breast and Body procedures encompassing Breast Augmentation, Breast Lifts (Mastopexy), Breast Reductions, Body contouring, skin excision after massive weight loss, thigh and arm lifts, body lifts, abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), liposuction, Fat Grafting, umbilical hernia repair and umbilicoplasty, abdominal skin tightening
- Transgender procedures involving MtF breast augmentation, FtM top surgery (mastectomy), facial feminization
- Plastic Surgery for Men covering male breast reduction, abdominal etching, hair restoration, muscle implants for chest, arms, or legs, jawline contouring, rhinoplasty
- Non-Surgical procedures such as Skin care, dermal fillers, dermabrasion, Botox, chemical and laser peels
- University of Missouri — Columbia. B.S. Biological Sciences (1999 - 2003)
- University of Missouri — St Louis. M.S. Cell and Molecular Biology (2007 - 2008)
- The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) – Erie, PA. Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (2008 - 2012)
- Wright State University – Dayton, OH. General Surgery Residency (2012 - 2018)
- University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics – Iowa City, IA. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (2018 - 2021)
- North Texas Plastic Surgery – Dallas, TX. Accredited Aesthetic Plastic Surgery Fellowship (2021 - 2022)
- The American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Fellow Member
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, Fellow Member
- The American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Fellow/Resident Council Member
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Resident Advisory Board
- Plastic Surgery Political Action Committee
- The Plastic Surgery Foundation
- Alpha Omega Alpha
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation
Honors and Awards
- W.T. Lawrence Award for Clinical Excellence, University of Iowa Division of Plastic Surgery (2021)
- Highest Overall In-service Exam Score, University of Iowa Division of Plastic Surgery (2021)
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honors Fraternity Inductee (2017)
- Wright State University, Department of General Surgery “Outstanding Resident Teacher Award” (2016)
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation “Humanism and Excellence in Teaching Award” (2014)
- Regional “Nils Pfenning Award" winner, Pittsburgh Center for Organ Recovery & Education (2011
- 1st Runner-up LECOM “Student Doctor of the Year,” Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (2010)
- President of “Student Organization of the Year,” Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (2010)
- Sigma Sigma Phi, Osteopathic Medical Honors Society Inductee (2010)
- US Air Force, 480th Wing “Personnel Officer of the Year” (2007)
- Air Force Achievement Medal, Oak Leaf Cluster (2007)
- National Defense Service Medal (2006)
- Air Force Achievement Medal, F-15C Aerial Demonstration Team (2006)
- Global War on Terrorism Medal (2006)
- Academic Excellence Award, Air & Space Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base (2004)
- Air Force ROTC Cadet of the Year, University of Missouri–Columbia (2000 and 2001)
Active State Licenses
- Texas, Michigan, Ohio, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma, Virginia, Utah, Florida, Kansas, Wyoming, Colorado
Invited Speaker/Grand Rounds Presentations
- Abtahi A. Face transplant surgery: A historical perspective and where we are today. University of Iowa, Department of Ophthalmology. Iowa City, IA. (2020)
- Abtahi A. Negotiating your first employment contract. Cleveland Clinic Main Campus, Department of General Surgery. Cleveland, OH. (2018)
- Abtahi, A. Diagnosis and Management of Benign and Malignant Breast Disease. Wright State University, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Dayton, OH. (2017 & 2018)
- Abtahi A. Cadaver Memorial Service Keynote speaker. The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine. Erie, PA. (2009)
National and Regional Presentations
- Abtahi A, Nayyar A, Keith J. The Cost of Routine Analysis of Transgender Mastectomy Specimens. Presented at The American Society for Plastic Surgeons Virtual Annual Meeting. (2020).
- Abtahi A, Coyne C, Odobescu A. Use of Arterialized Venous Free Flap for Reconstruction of the Forehead. Presented at The American Society for Plastic Surgeons Virtual Annual Meeting. (2020).
- Abtahi A, Zhu V, Owen, S. Endonasal septal perforation repair using polydioxanone plate and tempoparietal fascia: A description of technique and report of outcomes. Selected for presentation at the American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons 2021 Annual Meeting. Las Vegas, NV.
- Abtahi A. Negotiating your first employment contract. Ohio Chapter of the American College of Surgeon’s, Annual Meeting. Cincinnati, OH. (2018)
- Phillips B, Abtahi A, et al. Spotlight in Plastic Surgery: January 2021. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Jan 1;147(1):264-266.
- Gassman A, Mehta A, Bucholdz E, Abtahi A, et al. Negative pressure therapy over primarily closed large abdominal wall reconstruction reduces surgical site infection rates. Hernia. 19, 273–278. (2015).
- Gassman A, Mehta A, Abtahi A, et al. Abdominal wall reconstruction: positive outcomes with negative pressure therapy. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 215, S109. (2012).
- Tuck J, Abtahi A. Comparative Evaluation of First Metatarsal Head Resurfacing versus Arthrodesis for the treatment of Hallux Rigidus: A Prospective Community Based Study. Journal of the Pennsylvania Osteopathic Medical Association. 55, 57-59. (2011).
- Teferi N, Abtahi A, Fisher M, Hitchon P. Spinal Wound Closure. In M. P. Steinmetz MD & E. C. Benzel MD, Benzel’s Spine Surgery: Techniques, complication avoidance, and management. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier. (2020).
- Abtahi A, Schober J. Trichoepithelioma. In F.J. Domino, MD, The 5-Minute Clinical Consult 2013. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer. (2013).
Commentary, Letters, Editorials
- Abtahi A. Review of “Lymphedema Liposuction with Immediate Limb Contouring.” PRS Resident Chronicles: The official blog of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Journals of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2019).
- Abtahi A, Ayoub H, Keith J. A Single Surgeon’s Experience with Complex Ventral Hernia Repair in Immunosuppressed Transplant Patients. The American Society for Plastic Surgeons 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting. (2020)
- Abtahi A, Mouser B, Fisher M. Classifying Postburn Contractures of the Neck: Can a universal system truly exist? The Midwest Regional Burn Conference. Iowa City, IA. (2019).
- Abtahi A, Johnson RM. The Plastic Surgery Resident’s Guide to Employment Contracts. The Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Cleveland, OH. (2018).
- Abtahi A, Barnett J, Curry E, Jerkins D, Mancho S. Infantile Myofibromatosis Involving the Orbit: Literature Review and Experience with Neox Wound Allograft after Surgical Debulking. Wright State University Central Research Forum. Dayton, OH. (2017).
- Abtahi A, Whitis J, Kranker L, Semon G, et al. Blood product utilization at a Level 1 Trauma Center: A retrospective analysis before the implementation of thromboelastography. Wright State University Central Research Forum. Dayton, OH. (2016).
- Jerkins D, Abtahi A, Liston J, Johnson, RM. Mandibular angle fracture favorability and current management at a level 1 trauma center. The Ohio Valley Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting. Dayton, OH. (2016).
- Abtahi A, Mathew S, Rohan, G. Dermatomyositis following zoledronic acid re-dosing in a 59 year old female. The Dayton Area GME Committee Research Symposium. Dayton, OH. (2014).
- Aburto J, Dossa A, Abtahi A, Pence J. Cecal duplication cyst as a lead point for intussusceptions. The Dayton Area GME Committee Research Symposium, Dayton, OH. (2013).
- Cornell J, Morgan K, Abtahi A, et al. Isolation of Fibroblasts and Myofibroblast-like Cells from Dupuytren's Diseased Palmar Fascia. The UPMC Hamot Medical Center Research Convention. Erie, PA. (2011).