Gynecomastia is the overdevelopment of one or both breasts in adult males. This is an embarrassing condition that leads many men to seek plastic surgery. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), 27,760 men underwent breast reduction surgery in 2016 in the U.S.
This condition is generally the result of too much estrogen (a female hormone) being produced, or too little testosterone (a male hormone), which leads to swelling of the glandular tissue, forming an enlarged breast. At North Texas Plastic Surgery, we understand the frustration that can come from this condition and work with men to produce satisfactory results so that they can feel good about how they look.
If you’re an adult male who wants to learn more about our treatment for gynecomastia, contact us today at 877-629-6468 to schedule your initial complimentary consultation. Our board-certified plastic surgeons proudly provide services to those who live in and near Dallas, Plano, Southlake, and nearby North Texas.
What Causes Gynecomastia?
There are many reasons why a man may produce too much estrogen or too little testosterone, leading to the enlargement of the breasts. While this has been known to happen in young children and teens, the condition usually goes away by itself as the child gets older. For adult men who have enlarged breasts, numerous factors may be at play in causing the condition.
The most common causes of gynecomastia include:
- Health issues: Lung or liver cancer, kidney disease, or having an overactive thyroid
- Hormone issues: Cancer of the pituitary gland, adrenal gland, or testicles
- Aging: Middle-aged men or older may develop gynecomastia from a shift in hormone levels
- Substance abuse: Alcohol, methamphetamines, heroin, or marijuana may increase risk
- Medicines: Certain prescription drugs including steroids; ulcer, epilepsy, and heart medicines; chemotherapy and antiandrogen drugs; and anti-anxiety and antidepressant drugs
- Weight gain: Excess fat in the breasts due to gaining weight
Gynecomastia Surgery Candidates
As with any surgical procedure, there are certain qualifications you must have to ensure your safety and to maximize results. A number of health and lifestyle factors can affect your candidacy for this surgery but a consultation with our plastic surgeons is the best way to determine if this procedure is right for you.
Candidates for gynecomastia surgery include:
- Men in good overall health and of relatively normal weight
- Individuals who do not have any life-threatening illnesses
- Men who are not on medications that can impede healing
- Men whose breast development has stabilized
- Non-smokers (or can quit for 6 weeks prior to the procedure and a certain number of weeks after the procedure)
- Non-drug users
- Those able to limit physical activity after the procedure
- Having realistic expectations of the procedure and outcome
- Willing to follow all post-operative instructions
The Gynecomastia Procedure
At our office, we provide multiple treatments when it comes to gynecomastia surgery and we can tailor your procedure to address your specific needs. Depending on the extent of your condition, we can use liposuction to eliminate excess fatty tissue. For other cases, we can surgically excise skin, fat, and breast tissue to trim your chest or use a combination of both treatments for optimal results.
Before the procedure, your surgeon will meet with you one on one to discuss your concerns about the appearance and feel of your breasts, as well as your goals for after the operation. Together you will design the perfect operation to get you looking and feeling great. He will answer all of your questions and explain to you everything that will happen on the day of surgery and in the recovery process.
Contact Your North Texas Plastic Surgeon Today
At North Texas Plastic Surgery, our Harvard-trained, board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Sacha Obaid has extensive experience in helping people discover the right procedure to achieve the body they want. For men who are dealing with enlargements of one or both breasts, there are options that can help restore their physique and their confidence.
If you’re an adult male and want to learn more about how we can help you, contact us today by filling out the online form or by calling us at 877-629-6468 to schedule your complimentary consultation. We serve the areas of Dallas, Plano, Southlake, and nearby areas of North Texas and are committed to helping you regain your confidence and look your best.