A series of BOTOX® injections can be given in as little as 10 minutes, and the recovery time for this minimally invasive procedure is fast, too! If you get BOTOX injections, you’ll be able to go about your normal daily routine immediately afterward.
On the Day of the Procedure
BOTOX injections are one of the simplest and least-invasive cosmetic procedures, and yet the results of just one series of injections can be incredible. A series of BOTOX injections typically takes less than 10 minutes to perform, and there is no particular preparation you need to make beforehand.
The procedure doesn’t require any kind of anesthetic and doesn’t cause anesthesia-like side effects. This means that when you receive BOTOX injections, you don’t need to arrange for transport or aftercare, as you’ll be in fine shape to drive and continue with your day, including going back to work.
Potential Side Effects
It’s common to have some mild side effects for a few hours after having BOTOX injections. These can include minor numbness, tingling, swelling, and bruising around injection sites. These side effects are temporary and should last only a few hours.
Some people may experience an allergic or hypersensitive reaction, with short-lived symptoms such as headache or nausea and mild flu-like symptoms. More rarely, some people have stronger allergic reactions that include wheezing, an itchy rash, or asthma-like symptoms. If you have these symptoms, it’s best to seek medical advice, so you can make sure they resolve quickly and safely. Getting prompt treatment will also reduce the risk that the symptoms affect the outcome of your BOTOX treatment.
Dangerous side effects such as difficulty breathing or loss of muscle control in other parts of your body are extremely rare, but they require immediate emergency medical attention.
What to Avoid After BOTOX Injections
There is a small number of things that you should avoid for a day or two after the procedure in order to ensure the best results and prevent problems such as toxin migration, bruising, and skin irritation.
- Don’t scratch, massage, or rub the area that was injected. Preferably, don’t touch those areas of the face at all. Touching the face can cause irritation that contributes to side effects such as swelling and bruising. More importantly, rubbing or massaging can cause the injected BOTOX to migrate to other parts of the face.
- Avoid lying down or bending over for several hours after the treatment to help prevent facial swelling and migration of the toxin. If possible, avoid lying down until bedtime.
- Avoid vigorous exercise for the first 24 hours after having BOTOX injections, as this can cause BOTOX migration and exacerbate any swelling that occurs.
- Don’t take NSAIDS such as Aleve®, Advil®, and Motrin® for a couple of days. These medications can thin the blood, which can cause bruising at injection sites.
- Avoid smoking for at least the first day or two after the procedure.
The First Week After BOTOX
The results of BOTOX injections can be seen very quickly. It takes only a short time for muscle relaxation to occur, and within just a few days, you’ll see a significant improvement in the fine lines and wrinkles that were treated.
Some people may experience side effects such as swelling, redness, and bruising in the first few days of their BOTOX recovery . These are normal potential side effects, even after taking precautions to prevent them, and it’s not necessarily an indication that something has gone wrong with the treatment. However, it’s important to continue to avoid touching or rubbing the areas that are affected.
A Few Weeks Later
For most people, it takes two to three weeks to fully see the results of BOTOX injections. At this point all residual swelling and bruising should be gone, making it easy to see how BOTOX has greatly reduced the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around your forehead and other areas.
Three to Four Months Later
Three to four months after the injections, you’ll probably find that the effects of your BOTOX treatment are starting to wane. Gradually, fine lines and wrinkles return to their previous state, although it may take several months before your face returns to its pre-treatment appearance.
The good news is that BOTOX treatments are so convenient that they can become easy to keep up with, and you’ll know you’re doing the work to look your best!