As you get older, you may notice that the skin on your face begins to change. Blemishes and spots may begin to form, causing you to look older than you are. At North Texas Plastic Surgery, we understand that these skin conditions can be embarrassing and concerning, which is why we offer laser treatments, such as IPL photofacial, to remove signs of aging and damage to your face and give you a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance.
If you wish to learn more about the IPL photofacial treatments we offer at North Texas Plastic Surgery, please call us at 877-629-6468 to schedule your complimentary consultation. Our Harvard-trained, board-certified plastic surgeon proudly provides services to those who live in and near Dallas, Plano, Southlake, and nearby North Texas.
What is IPL Photofacial?
IPL photofacial is a rejuvenation treatment in which intense pulsed light (IPL) helps eliminate a wide range of facial conditions. By using high-energy light waves, IPL treatment not only treats a variety of skin discolorations but also encourages the production of the skin’s natural collagen, which is a natural protein that keeps skin smooth and full.
At North Texas Plastic Surgery, we use the M22™ IPL technology by Lumenis®. The advantages of the M22™ technology from Lumenis® for IPL photofacial treatment include:
- Developed by laser medical experts
- Clinically proven to get results
- Gentle and effective
- Ability to adjust the settings according to skin type, skin color, and the specific skin treatment you choose
The Lumenis® M22™ IPL uses light pulses that move through the skin, creating heat and targeting skin imperfections in a controlled way. The treated area then flakes off when your body goes through its natural and constant process of exfoliation. At the same time, collagen and elastic fibers are stimulated, which results in a visible improvement of your skin’s tone and overall appearance.
Benefits of IPL Photofacial Treatment
IPL photo-rejuvenation technology treats pigmentation and vascular imperfections while improving your skin’s overall appearance. The M22™ IPL with optimal pulse technology lets us customize your treatment to your skin type and the results you want. It can gently and effectively treat a wide range of skin conditions, including:
- Skin discoloration and blemishes (sun spots)
- Visible signs of aging (age spots and freckles)
- Spider veins
- Pigment problems like broken capillaries and rosacea
- Hemangiomas (a benign tumor of blood vessels that forms a red birthmark)
Candidates for IPL Photofacial Treatment
If your skin is in need of rejuvenation because of skin discolorations caused by environmental conditions or genetics or you just want to improve the overall appearance of your skin, IPL treatment may be just right for you.
Our goal is to provide safe and effective treatments for everyone that comes to us. During your consultation, our physicians will evaluate your skin as well as go over your current health and medical history to make sure the IPL photofacial treatment is right for you.
Good candidates for this procedure generally include those:
- In good physical health
- Not on any facial medications
- Who are not pregnant
- With realistic expectations and willingness to maintain treatment schedule
The M22™ IPL photofacial treatment is designed to work on a range of skin tones and colors. However, darker skin tones may not respond to treatments as well as lighter skin tones. During your consultation, your doctor will evaluate your skin type and give you an idea of how the treatment will work for you. It’s also important to talk to your doctor about any medications you’re currently taking to make sure that no adverse side-effects occur so that you can enjoy facial rejuvenation with little to no downtime.
The IPL Photofacial Process and Recovery
At our office, your IPL photofacial treatment should not take more than 45 minutes. It’s a quick in-office procedure with minimum discomfort. The process is generally as follows:
- Preparation: A topical numbing cream is applied to your face. This cream will need to incubate (sit on the skin) for 20 to 30 minutes so that your skin can absorb it.
- IPL treatment: The IPL is applied to the areas of your skin in need of treatment. You may experience a warm sensation as the light is applied to your skin, but the treatment is very gentle.
- Post-procedure: For up to 24 hours you may feel and see your skin flushing. Sometimes patients experience very mild swelling, depending on how sensitive their skin is.
- Recovery: The normal recovery period varies between two and five days, depending on your skin sensitivity and the treatment performed, but you can expect to see a substantial difference in discolorations and your overall skin texture within one week of treatment. Freckles and hyper-pigmented lesions will turn darker and look dry for four to seven days and then start flaking off gradually and naturally. If you have a vascular lesion that is treated, you may develop some bruising, which is more common when vascular lesions are treated off face areas.
For some conditions, it may take a few sessions to see the best results. In general, the heavier your skin blemishes, the more treatments you’ll need. While IPL treats existing skin problems, it doesn’t prevent new ones from developing. For instance, if you get treated for sun-damaged skin, you’ll still need to take steps to prevent sun damage in the future. Your results will last longer if you take good care of your skin by using a good antioxidant and sunscreen, as well as avoiding sun exposure as much as possible.
Contact an IPL Treatment Specialist Today
At North Texas Plastic Surgery, our goal is to give each patient exceptional, natural-looking results through the use of advanced technology and techniques. In addition to our board-certified plastic surgeon, registered nurse Onna Fuechter is also certified as a senior laser technician by the State of Texas. She performs all of our skin rejuvenation treatments, including IPL Photofacial.
If you’re interested in learning more about our IPL photofacial treatments, schedule a free initial appointment with us in our Southlake or Plano office today by calling 877-629-6468. We proudly provide services to those near Dallas, Plano, Southlake, and nearby North Texas.