Thanksgiving and Christmas foods are savory and delicious, but many of the traditional courses and treats can damage more than your waistline. Now that the holidays are coming to an end, have you noticed changes in the appearance of your skin? Do you feel “puffy,” dry, or appear dull? These foods and drinks may have left your skin worse for the wear, but luckily, there are a variety of medical spa treatments that can quickly reverse the dietary harm.
The worst holiday foods and drinks include:
- Eggnog: This popular drink is served with or without alcohol and is high in fat and sugar, which increases your chance of acne breakouts. Alcohol, on the whole, is harmful to your skin and can increase dryness and produce a dull complexion.
- Creamy Dips: Cream-based dips typically include mayonnaise or cream cheese. Dairy products have been linked to acne breakouts and some people achieve clearer skin by cutting out cheese, milk and other dairy-based foods.
- Pies: Some pies are worse than others, and pumpkin pie seems to be the best choice, but overall, holiday pies have a lot of sugar and butter.
- Candy and Cookies: These treats cause the most harm as they’re loaded with refined sugar which damages your skin’s natural collagen and elastin production.
- Salty Foods: Foods that are laden with salt make you retain water and can give you a swollen or puffed up look.
A diet high in sugar can do significant damage to your skin. Sugar has been linked to acne and increases your skin’s natural oil production and causes inflammation. Those effects speed up the aging process which means a poor diet with lots of sugar will lead to early wrinkling and prematurely aging skin.
Some foods are great for your skin and can help you combat the side effects of the holiday treats and drinks including raw vegetables, spinach, avocados, berries, and certain types of fish. Foods high in zinc can reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation of your skin. Zinc can also improve scarring and works to treat skin conditions such as rosacea, eczema, and melasma.
If you’ve noticed changes in your skin over the last few months, don’t worry too much. There are many ways to combat the impact your holiday diet had on your skin. At our Dallas med spa, we use the VISIA Complexion Analysis system, which does a thorough assessment of your skin’s state and determines the best cosmetic treatment(s) to achieve a beautiful, luminous appearance that could include:
- Chemical Peels
- Laser Treatments
- SkinMedica Products
- Fillers and Injectables
For more drastic improvements, facial plastic surgery such as a facelift or brow lift can restore a vibrant, youthful look.
Schedule Your Med Spa Appointment in Dallas
If you’re interested in improving your appearance, please contact North Texas Plastic Surgery in Dallas today at (817) 416-8080 to schedule your appointment at our medical spa or a plastic surgery consultation with one of our skilled plastic surgeons. We serve patients in Fort Worth, Southlake, Plano and surrounding areas of Dallas, Texas.